A person needs to express his skills and abilities, and one of the best places for it is at the workspace. Nearly every individual has some unique ability and talent through which he can perform specific office task. An office is a place where individuals having various qualifications and skills are gathered to perform work efficiently and effectively so that the organization can achieve its goals. The employees need to be focused and hard-working as today’s business market is very competitive, and companies need every resource and way to sustain and grow. One of the main factors of a company’s growth and success relies not only the work of different teams but a single employee too.
As a person, you wish to every day be happy and active and do things you love whether at home or office with full commitment and dedication but it is natural that some days you are not ill or have encountered some unfortunate injury. Apart from the illness and injury a major concern for most of the employees in workplaces and workers in factories is depression and stress which also affects the performance and productivity. Commonly, you face the pressure of the work environment, which can affect your productivity and it can also be that you are having some personal problem which is on your mind and distracting you from work. Depression and anxiety are two of the most common mental problems that people face in workplaces all over the world. Apart from depression there is also harassment and bullying at the workplace which can affect a person’s mental and emotional state.
There are numerous studies that indicate that mental problems prevent a person from performing to his true potential which not only hinders his work and growth but also affects the productivity of the office as the work is not performed efficiently and effectively. The organizations nowadays realize the importance of mental health and how it can play a play in reducing the number of absenteeism, increasing work efficiency, and help organization achieve its financial and operational goals.
There are certain risk factors that are commonly present in the workspace and are related to the type of work performed by the individual, the surrounding work environment, the abilities and skills of the individual, and the support from the office colleagues and management of the organization. For example, you wish to complete a difficult task with efficiency, but either has limited resources or not given proper support from your colleagues. The risks to mental health at workspace includes
- Not sufficient health and workplace safety policies
- The management and communication practices are not following the current trends
- The opinions of the employees are not included in decision making
- There is less control of the workspace
- The working hours are not properly defined and not flexible
- Little support from the office colleagues and management of the organization
- The tasks are not clear, and the objectives are not defined.
- The tasks are not compatible with the qualifications and skills of the individual
- The bullying and harassment different employees have to face
The effects of the mental problems faced by an individual can hurt his wellbeing, and some individual may take stimulants, drugs, and alcohol to free their minds from the trouble and pressure of the workspace. Every organization should develop certain rules, strategies, policies and take help from innovative behavioral therapies to ensure a healthy and wonderful workplace. A healthy workspace is one where every factor plays an important part from the management to the work colleagues. An individual should be given confidence, and his contribution and work should be recognized. It is a fact that recognition is sometimes a bigger motivation for an employee as compared to the financial rise in his income. The employee should also be asked for any work-related or personal problem which may hinder his work performance and focus on the job.
The key for organizations is to implement the behavioral therapies at every level so that all the employees are aware, and everyone can play their part to accomplish the effectiveness of a particular behavioral therapy. The signs and symptoms that the organization management and work colleagues have to notice regarding a particular employee are
- The everyday mood and approach towards work and social interaction
- Keeping to himself and not interacting much
- Not showing happy signs such as smiling or laughing on silly jokes and mishaps at work
- Not holding conversation with the fellow employee for longer duration
- Lack of interest in completing the task on time
- Being restless and arriving for work late and leaving early
- Not making a timely or rational decision
- Feeling ill often and being absent from work
The first thing for organizations to do is to address the issue of mental health which can happen to anyone at work. The awareness would make the employee feel at ease as many employees may be shy or feel awkward to discuss the mental problems they are facing which would add another factor to their stress and depression. If the mental health is addressed at right time, it can prevent lower productivity which can, in turn, save thousands of dollars that company had to bear due to lack of employee work performance.
One of the best behavioral therapiesis Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in which the negative thoughts and patterns of the employees are effectively identified and resolved. The CBT is given by a qualified and experienced psychologist or mental health professional who is familiar with the mental problems of a workplace environment. In a CBT session, the anxiety and depression are divided into five areas such as emotions, situations, thoughts, physical feelings, and actions. The advantages of CBT in workspace are
- Reduces the stress and anxiety which leads to more efficiency
- A better understanding of true potential of the employee
- Good communication and understanding between the employees
- Less absenteeism