Region :- Uttarakhand
Duration :- 8 Days
Grade :- Moderate To Difficult
Max Altitude :- 15,696 Ft.
Approx Trekking Km :- 53 Kms.
Roopkund, in the state of Uttarakhand in India, is a famous glacial lake. This lake is famous due to more than five hundred skeletons of humans that are found at the edge of the lake. It is located in the Himalayas and rests at an altitude of nearly 4,800 meters. Roopkund is located in the Chamoli district of Garhwal. It is one of the best sites for trekking in Garhwal. It is closer to hill stations like Nainital and Kathgodam. At a distance of 217 km from Nainital and 235 km from Kathgodam, Roopkund is one of the major adventure attractions for people in the country and also for people who are travelling from abroad. Roopkund, which is located in the lap of Trishul massif is also known as the ‘mystery lake’. You can find human skeletons at the bank of the lake and it is believed that they belong to the Palaeolithic age.
Things To Carry
- Warm clothes, jackets, raincoats, fleece jackets and thermals
- Hand gloves, trekking poles, trekking shoes and extra pair of socks
- Water bottles, energy bars and energy drinks
- Caps/hats, sunglasses and towels
- Personal toiletries and medications (if any)
- Backpack with waterproof linings
Roopkund trek in Seasons.
Summer Treks (April, May, June)
1. Less colder
2. More windy
3. Weather is unpredictable
4. Can’t see human skeleton
5. Roopkund is in frozen condition
6. Higher camps covered with snow
7. Natural source of drinking water are easily available
8. Best for those who want to see snow and want to do a difficult level of trek
Autumn Treks (September, October, November)
1. Less windy
2. More colder
3. Mostly clear weather
4. Can see human skeleton
5. No snow at any camp site
6. Roopkund lake is properly visible
7. Natural source of drinking water are limited
8. Best for those who want to see greenery and want to do moderate level of trek
How to Reach
The Kathgodam station is one of the main stations in the district and it is an old station. It has good connectivity to many places and these include Lucknow, Delhi, and Howrah. Tickets from Delhi to Kathgodam by train cost around Rs. 150 for a second class sleeper ticket and Rs. 400 for a third A/C sleeper ticket. It is essential to book the tickets at least one month in advance as this route is always in demand.
By Train :-
From Delhi take the Ranikhet Express (5014) Dep. Delhi at 10:40pm arrival Kathgodam at 5:30am (Overnight Journey) or the Uttar sampark kranti (5035) Dep. Delhi at 4:00pm arrival Kathgodam at 10:40pm (6 hrs.40min.Journey)
From Dehardun take the Doon Express (4120) Dep. Dehardun at 10:30 pm arrival Kathgodam at 7:10 pm (8hrs.journey)
By Bus :-
Regular buses ply from ISBT Delhi Anand Vihar station to Kathgodam. Buses that go to Nainital stops at Haldwani which is a twin town of Kathgodham (8 hrs. Journey).